Generosity meets style and nerdom with Out of Print‘s sweaters, T-shirts and other literary accessories. Following a one-for-one donation model, for each product sold, the online retailer donates a book to Books For Africa, an organization that collects and distributes books to children in Africa.
“From day one we wanted to use our business as a vehicle to help do good,” said Todd Lawton, who created Out of Print Clothing with his business partner and childhood friend, Jeffrey LeBlanc, in an interview with the Freelancers Union. “We found Books For Africa and really liked how they operate. They have a simple mission — to distribute books to students of all ages in Africa — and are very efficient. We also were excited about our ability to help promote their organization.”
The company says it has sent more than 1 million books to communities in need in 22 countries through its partnership with Books For Africa. Although some of my favorite books (The Bluest Eye, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) have yet to be immortalized in wearable form from Out of Print, the online shop has some pretty cool literary gems.
This Library Stamp Long Sleeve is a throwback to the days when the library was life for young bookworms like myself. It gets extra points for having dates from my birth year of 1984, which, incidentally, is saluted in an awesome red long sleeve for the dystopian novel written by George Orwell.
See which vibrant, book-inspired garment took the crown after the jump!
Sweater weather was in full effect this past weekend, so I decided to put on my JCLU Forever “Pray, Believe, Receive” sweater with something to keep my neck warm, and add a pop of color to this black-and-white ensemble.
See more after the jump!
1. I’ve always felt lucky to be born in July because my birthstone is ruby, the most beautiful gemstone, in my personal opinion. And it appears my luck may have just improved because I discovered these Ruby Red and Swarovski Stud Earrings from the Etsy shop, Petite Delights by Iloniti. These are like the cherry on top of any outfit, and totally remind me of Christmastime. (etsy.com)
2. “Be silly. Be honest. Be kind.” Now that’s my kind of mantra. This darling little Itty Bitty Be Silly Bowl from Aoki Boutique is perfect for holding rings or earrings, or even organizing loose change. This design accent is both functional and quite fun. (aokiboutique.com)
3. Ah, to be wrapped up in this super cozy, heather grey Reverse Herringbone Pullover on a chilly autumn day. This Merino wool sweater from Madewell looks how a warm hug feels. Sign me up! (madewell.com)
4. Looking like a stylish, put-together professional could be as simple as putting on this sleek Cream Pussybow Tweed Jumpsuit. It transitions well from day to night, or “from desk to dinner,” as River Island puts it. (riverisland.com)
5. This stunning Sequins of Events Tribal Bustier from Go Jane already has me dreaming of New Year’s Eve. My ideal sequence of events in this feisty, festive little number? Good music, erratic dancing, the company of loved ones and priceless memories. (gojane.com)
1. Come sail away with me and this luxurious World Traveler Eternity Scarf. I must say, this darling accessory makes the transition from summer to fall a smooth one. (urbanoutfitters.com)
2. Alice and Olivia’s Piano Bag infuses playfulness and style in this über-unique across-the-body bag. I’ve got the sudden urge to play “Chopsticks,” by the way. (aliceandolivia.com)
3. The label True Decadence at ASOS says it all. This True Decadence Tall Strappy Colour Block Jumpsuit is just that: truly decadent! So many styling options flood my mind when I see something as polished and charming as this. (asos.com)
4. I say “faux sho” to this Faux Leather Pleated Skirt from Forever 21. Someone get me a knit top and a red lip STAT! (forever21.com)
5. Doesn’t this sweater remind you that it’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood? Well, don’t mind me while I get my Mr. Rogers on in this preppy BB Dakota Galena Cardigan. Cute sweaters like this soften the blow that fall will be upon us in no time. (shopbop.com)
1. Black and white go bold in this Billie Skirt by Rue 107. Set this look off with a neon orange heel and matching lip, and you’ll be as picturesque as the brushstrokes found in this set. (applebutterboutique.com)
2. Put a spell on the passersby with this dazzling silver and gold Hex Curb Link Necklace. (cwonder.com)
3. This Iris Dress has quickly become the apple of my eye. The cut-out takes this dress from average to amazing, and the stripes add a certain spunk. (tobi.com)
4. New York, London, Tokyo, Los Angeles — the world’s not ready for this other-worldly Two Tone Sweater! (stussy.com)
5. What a good look this New Look Pink Contrast Twist Lock Bag is. Whether worn across the body or as a clutch, this bag will make any outfit complete. (newlook.com)
1. Turn heads in this fluorescent MinkPink Temple Romper that just screams “summer madness.” We hear you loud and clear! (shopbop.com)
2. Keep your eyes on the prize, whatever it may be, in these snazzy Sunpocket Samoa Sunglasses. I’m partial to the dark tortoise hue pictured here, but the crystal greys go just as hard. And the best part about these shades is they fold! The perfect answer to a girl’s wish of a less bulky purse. (madewell.com)
3. There’s something off about this Multicolor Long Sleeve Graffiti Print Dress that makes it on, if that makes any sense. This wearable piece of art is bold enough to do allll the talking for one outfit. (sheinside.com)
4. Leave it to Kenzo to make sequins super stylish. This Blue Embroidered & Sequined Fish Jacquard Sweatshirt is far from gaudy, but is just the right blend of flair and simplicity. (ssense.com)
5. Tiptoe through the tulips in these Floral Canvas Lace Up sneakers from You Must Create. Throw on these to brighten up any ensemble, if you dare. (youmustcreate.com)
“Look at the birds of the air: They neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?” Matthew 6:26
I can’t even remember the last time that I visited the San Diego Zoo (I know I was a youngster), but I had a wonderful time with my sister, Ayesha, and nephew, Jordan, yesterday. The weather was so hot and cold, so I erred on the side of caution and wore a cozy, oversized sweater (shoulder pads intact) that I featured in one of my “Thrifted Thursday” posts. It was a slight bummer that I didn’t get to wear the fun, red biker-style jacket that I just picked up from Goodwill because I ended up being warm. The flats were also a must as we did our share of walking around the park. For me, the best parts were seeing the giraffes, elephants, monkeys and exotic birds, and spending time with my family. It was such a lovely day.
Skinny Jeans: H&M
Flats: Old Navy
Earrings: Forever 21
Necklace: Forever 21
“So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.” 1 Corinthians 13:13
I relish the opportunities I get to spend with family. This is a casual outfit I rocked while grabbing dinner with my brother (pictured) and dad in Culver City. Pops bought me this ultra swagged out “Too Tuff” sweater featuring Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy from a gift shop in Florida more than a decade ago. Vintage! I kept it pretty low key but jazzed it up with the subtle hints of gold around my neck and wrist. You can’t see it that clearly but the thrifted scarf tied around my purse has bits of gold and is lined in red, which accentuates my red lips. Sweater season is in full swing and I’m looking forward to spicing up some old pieces.
Sweater: Florida Gift Shop
Collared Shirt: Thrifted
Skinny Jeans: C. USA
Oxford Shoes: Miss Me?