Are you ready to get snatched for the summer? Look no further than this week’s Fancy Things Friday:
1. This Vero Moda Floral Ruffle Cut Out Swimsuit is giving me “La Isla Bonita” meets “California Girls” plus a dash of summer lovin’. There’s so much to love in such a small package: the floral print, the ruffles that give a taste of peplum and the cut-outs. I might even throw on a pair of cut-offs and a pair of bright orange heels and stunt on ’em while out on the town. Say I won’t. (asos.com)
2. If the best things come in small packages, you’ve hit the jackpot with this darling Abbie Envelope Crossbody. At 6″ x 9″ x 1″, this bag is just big enough to carry the essentials. This one’s for all the Minimalist Mandys out there. This bag also comes in Ivory and Blue (a sky-like hue) for those looking for some pizzazz. (anthropologie.com)
3. You’ll never guess what type of journey awaits with this darling Learning to Fly Navy Blue Jumpsuit. I’m into the cinched waist and flowy fabric that leads down to the elastic ankles. This piece shows just the right amount of skin with the adjustable halter back, too. This jumpsuit will have you looking flawless with minimal effort — a dainty gold necklace and an open-toed heel will go a long way in completing the look. (lulus.com)
4. Take a bite out of this juicy Orange Side Split Midi Dress, courtesy of Miss Selfridge. Something about this pop of color commands attention. The side split also helps catch eyes. I’m here for this tangy burst of flavor. Yummerz! (missselfridge.com)
5. H&M is on to something with this polka-dotted Cotton Dress. It’s a prime example of how simplicity is key to creating a classic look. What you can’t tell from this view is that there’s a cut-out section at the back with ties. Hey now! (hm.com)
To see past Fancy Things Friday posts, click here.
Happy summer, friends! It’s the best time of year, in my opinion. Days are longer and temperatures are warmer, and there’s just an atmosphere of merriment and levity that’s contagious. This Wednesday Word No. 72 — spoken by John Lubbock, author of “The Pleasures of Life” — gives a shout out to summer and reminds us that it’s OK to bask in all its glory. ‘Tis the season, after all! Lubbock’s quote, pulled from his book “The Use of Life,” reads: “Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer’s day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time.” This Wednesday Word is dedicated to all the workaholics out there who will find every excuse in the book to keep busy all summer. Frankly, the only thing you should be busy doing this time of year is being busy relaxing, soaking in the sun, with your head in the clouds and your toes in the sand or in a cool pool, or you fill in the blank. Trust me, taking time for yourself to recalibrate and unwind is far more rewarding in the long run than filling your days with activities that add strain. With that kind of attitude, you’ll look up and summer will have slipped away. No bueno. No time for regrets. So get out there. Enjoy! Let the day get away from you. Give frivolity some room to roam free.
To get inspired by previous Wednesday Word posts, click here.
This Wednesday Word No. 2, courtesy of Etsy shop JenniferDareDesigns, pays homage to something near and dear to my heart: summer. In case you missed it, Summer Solstice — the longest day of the year and the official start of the best season God ever created — was this past Sunday, June 21. I don’t think you guys realize just how much this season means to me. Rapper Drake said, “I come alive in in the nighttime.” Well, I come alive in the summer time. So many things to love about this time of year: long and sunshiny days, warm temperatures, a sense of adventure pervading the atmosphere. I’m glad American-English writer Henry James shares the same enthusiasm for summer. Indeed, a summer afternoon is a thing of beauty, to be treasured and embraced with open arms. This week I challenge you to get out there and dive head first into summer! I know I will be seizing every opportunity I get to enjoy it before it’s gone.
“By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures.” Proverbs 24:3,4
On a recent Sunday afternoon I visited my friend Sierra’s house in Richmond, California. I loved how much space she had and the backyard — overgrown foliage and all — which made for an awesome backdrop for this mini photo shoot in which I rocked some of my birthday gifts given to me by my bestie, Yvette. The sun was shining and the laughter was in abundance, as we enjoyed a small but tasty barbecue and grapefruit beer. It was a great day.
Dress: Gifted (Roxy)
Earrings: Gifted (Francesca’s)
To commemorate my 100th post here at Ashley ♥ Adores, I’ve put together a fun little giveaway! Pulling all the pieces together was a labor of love for me, as these items are from local thrift stores. Each of these items are designed to help you have an amazing summer.
I present to you the “Ultimate Summer Basket Giveaway!”
The prize includes:
1. A picnic basket, for those sweet, impromptu days when you decide to get outdoors and enjoy the nice weather for a change.
2. A floral-print heart-shaped box, for you to store your various accessories, or all the phone numbers you’re going to collect, or whatever your heart desires.
3. A pair of tortoise shell sunglasses with a hint of teal, to shield your eyes from those sun rays when you’re out on your adventures.
4. Two vintage glasses with a quaint dragonfly scene, for the cool (adult) beverages you will share with your pals while toasting to the good life.
5. And last but not least, a 6×4 picture frame, to capture your favorite summer memory — I know it will be hard to choose just one!
Here are the rules:
To start, leave a comment on this post with your first name and city of residence.
Entrants must fulfill two of the the three following requirements to successfully enter the “Ultimate Summer Basket Giveaway.”
1. Follow the Ashley ♥ Adores blog by entering your email address in the field at the bottom of the page, or via Bloglovin‘ (a button is also at the bottom of the page).
2. Like the official Ashley ♥ Adores Facebook page at facebook.com/ashleyadoresdotcom.
3. Follow Ashley ♥ Adores on Twitter at twitter.com/ashleyadores.
Participants who follow AshleyAdores on Instagram, share the Facebook page and/or leave a comment on their favorite post(s) at ashleyadores.com will receive an additional entry.
The giveaway ends on Friday, May 31 at 3 p.m. Pacific Standard Time, and the winner will be announced June 1.
AND THE WINNER IS: Carla Holden, of Hollywood! Thanks to all those who entered!