I guess you can say I was channeling Rosie the Riveter or Lucille Ball of “I Love Lucy,” with this look, which I wore to happy hour with friends this past Friday (Upon entering, a rowdy group of guys called me Minnie Mouse, which I can kind of see now. LOL.). I’m starting to see the benefits of protective styling, including the use of fun scarfs and headwraps, as I’m noticing less breakage and more growth. Yay!
This look was rather easy to achieve. To start, I sectioned my bangs off and tucked my hair in a loose French roll (nothing fancy, just trying to keep my hair down). I then took a square scarf, folded it in half diagonally to form a triangle, tied it Aunt Jemima style in front, formed the ends in a bow, folded the remaining flap over the bow and tucked it under. Give it a whirl!
1. The word of the day is “affogato.” This is an Italian dessert that combines gelato and espresso, and it looks like it’s just simple enough to do the trick when your sweet tooth arises. One of the readers commented suggesting the addition of amaretto, which sounds delightful. I’m looking forward to trying this quick recipe soon! (food52.com)
2. Meet Maddie, the sweet-tempered coonhound, who can be seen defying gravity by balancing on unexpected objects in the Theron Humphrey’s Maddie on Things: A Super Serious Project About Dogs and Physics. She’s so adorable! (amazon.com)
3. How fun are these Kirby pointed-toe flats with an ankle strap? They come in four other varieties, ranging from striped navy blue and white to “Natural Cuban Sand.” Dressed up or down, these snazzy flats can take an outfit to the next level. (solesociety.com)
4. This saucy little Well Suited Romper is one sure-fired way to turn heads. Plus the weather’s heating up, so short shorts are all the more welcome. (tobi.com)
5. Anthropologie does many things well. Add cell phone cases to the list, as evidenced by this Big Apple iPhone 5 case that makes me want to get out of California and paint New York red. It’s been too long! (anthropologie.com)
1. I just got hip to One Kings Lane and became enamored by this vibrant Peacock 16×16 Pillow from THRO. The site is chock full of items to spruce up your living space, and is great for interior design ideas. (onekingslane.com)
2. Don’t these palazzo pants from Zara look super comfy? And the deep blue color is beautiful, regal even. (zara.com)
3. NCLA has the nail wrap game on lock! There are so many to choose from, including a few collaboration sets with designer extraordinaire Melody Ehsani, but these Art Deco joints right here did it for me. (shopncla.com)
4. The colors from this snazzy LuLus Dessert Storm clutch make me want to drink cocktails poolside. (lulus.com)
5. I’ve taken inventory of my shoe collection and seen that noticeably absent is a functional warm-weather sandal that can be dressed up or down. These Studded Ghillie Wedge Sandals from Charlotte Russe fit the bill. And even better, there’s an online buy-one-get-one-for-$10 sale. Happy browsing! (charlotterusse.com)
I’m on the market for a new pair of sneakers. Though I’m loving the wedge sneaker look, I’m not sure if it’s exactly “me.” Nevertheless, there are plenty of options out there from stores like Forever 21, Angl and Reflection. I’m leaning toward some more along the lines of the red hi-tops.
If you had to pick, which ones would you cop? Let me know in the comments section below.
What can I say? I love a good print. These are just a few of the many I saw on a recent early-morning jaunt to the Garment District in Downtown LA with my good friend, Lola. And I wanted them all! Think of all the possibilities: pillow cases, duvets, scarves, head wraps, curtains.
Good thing I exercised some restraint and only managed to spend $5 for a yard of the tribal print fabric (second image, left), in addition to some scrap fabric (two pounds for a whopping $5). Don’t be surprised if you see that fabric in head-wrap form in an Outfit of the Day sometime soon!