Sweater weather is in full swing, and this Fancy Things Friday highlights a few you gems you definitely won’t want to miss:
1. I almost forgot we were in the dead of winter when I saw these whimsical Make Great Rides Flats. They make me want to put on some petal pushers or a maxi skirt and ride my bike through the park on a breezy spring day. Who am I kidding? Alright, I do live in SoCal, so that scenario is possible pretty much 365. But these retro flats would be lovely all year long! (modcloth.com)
2. Can’t commit to one color for your next go-to bag? Look no further than this luxurious Reversible Vegan Crossbody Bag in Kelly/Taupe, which dares to be different by giving a girl like you options. Other color vibrant combos include Ivory/Snake, Red/Nude, Brown/Nude, Blush/Taupe, Emerald/Tan and Tan/Grey. (freepeople.com)
3. Way to give the blast from the past “dickey” a new lease on life, Free People. Meet the Mock Shirt With Scallop Collar — the dickey’s much cooler, chicer cousin. Accentuate those curves by layering on a statement necklace that peeks out from beneath the collar. (cosstores.com)
4. Sometimes less is more, and this Ultra Long Zip Hoodie has certainly gotten the memo. It’s basic but bold. The length sets it apart from your run-of-the-mill hoodie, which comes with front pockets and a drawstring hood. This sweater also comes in black, which gives me an indisputable Yeezy vibe. Bring on the rain! I know Monki’s got me covered with this daring and functional piece. (monki.com)
5. Gals, I like big bows and I cannot lie. This you already know, but this NEHU Bow Detail Ribbed Jumper by Ted Baker made me squeal with delight at first glance. I also appreciate the unexpected choice of placing the ostentatious embellishment on the shoulder. (tedbaker.com)
To see past Fancy Things Friday posts, click here.
1. Feeling elite and eclectic? These TOMS Yvette Sunglasses should fit the bill. Exclusive to Bloomingdale’s, these vintage-inspired sunnies seek nothing but to make you look good while enjoying great iconically summertime moments. Plus, this black-and-white tortoise pattern is the bee’s knees. (bloomingdales.com)
2. Now that’s my kind of party dress! Way to kick things up several notches with this bold Black Lace Wavy Point Splice Dress, Chicnova. Bonus points for the keyhole back, which adds a welcomed surprise. (chicnova.com)
3. Pree Brulée just found its way onto my radar, and I’m so glad I discovered this darling shop. It doesn’t get any cuter than this bright, airy Parisian Hot Air Balloons Blouse. This top is perfect for that spontaneous weekender you’ve (and by “you’ve,” I mean “I’ve”) been itching to take. (preebrulee.com)
4. What better way to show your love for summertime and/or frozen treats than this super sweet re:named Popsicle Curve Crop Top. And while you’re at it, you might as well play outside till the streetlights come on in this fun top, you big kid, you. (shopbop.com)
5. #Love! This Tompkins Tank Jumpsuit in Hashtag Stripe is playful and stylish. I fully endorse the soft and drapey feel with this unique geometric print inspired by Japanese pen-and-ink drawings. Domo arigato, Madewell, for introducing me to this laidback look. (madewell.com)
To see past Fancy Things Friday posts, click here.
The uniform: You already know that red, white and blue are protocol for Independence Day! I kept my look casual with what I’ve termed “patriotic polka dots.” See the full outfit after the jump, my fellow Americans!
1. Latigo takes a walk on the adventurous side with these Milly Pokadot Sandals. First off, way to get bold with the spelling of “polka dots,” and secondly, I cannot get enough of the black dots set on the backdrop of a natural hue. (revolveclothing.com)
2. How darling is this Short Sleeve Pleated Dress by StyleNanda? It’s demure enough for Sunday morning at church, but can easily go good-girl-turned-bad (a la Rihanna) when paired with a bright pop of color, be it in pump or purse form. (en.stylenanda.com)
3. Get down to business with this Zipped Poplin Jumpsuit by Zara. It’s a simple, straightforward look. But, hey, sometimes you just have to go for softspoken strength. (zara.com)
4. Take it back to the old school, ’cause I’m a (not-so) old fool who’s so cool. “Whoomp There it Is” is right. These retro Mr. Throwback X Originals Black Joggers truly do like up to their name, harkening back to the ’90s. I could totally see Ol’ Marty Mar lounging in these numbers. (mrthrowback.com)
5. I must have been in some type of preppy mood, ’cause the pleats have made an appearance yet again with this show-stopping Kimchi Blue Pleated Skirt Dress. In this case, the pleats are a nice complement to the edgy cutout back. Hey, now that I think of it, this dress is a classic case of “business in the front, party in the back.” I’ll call it a mullet dress. (urbanoutfitters.com)
To see past Fancy Things Friday posts, click here.
1. Stop the presses! These Paules heels from Aldo make quite the statement with its black-and-white polka dots and pale teal strap. The daring appeal of these strappy sandals would make me want to live dangerously and pair it with something unexpected, like a red or orange sundress. (aldoshoes.com)
2. Meet the talented Janessa Leoné. This Henningsen wool and lambskin hat is an effortless, classic beauty. It’s giving me quintessential film noir dame in the best sense possible. (janessaleone.com)
3. Miss Selfridge fuses naughty (think nautical) and nice with this Petites Stripe Pinny Dress. I predict sunshine, sand and beach umbrellas in this dress’ future. (missselfridge.com)
4. X marks to spot in this extra edgy X-It Through the Jumpsuit. You can’t see it from this image, but this exquisite number features a racer back with cut-outs. (gojane.com)
5. Let’s face it. I’m Too Cool For You and this tee proves it. Of course, you gotta bring it when you make such a brazen statement. You’ll prove them right, whether you go the tomboy route with some high-top Chuck Taylors and camouflage-print shorts or the girly route with a pair of skinny jeans, a loud lip color and bright pump. (rad.co)
1. Polka dots make me happy. These Dots Mid Top kicks via BucketFeet would definitely put a little spring — heck, perhaps a kick ball change or two — in my step! These fun ones were designed by Carrie Van Hise, a textile artist based in NYC and Barcelona. (bucketfeet.com)
2. I feel like me and Kendra Dandy, the innovative mastermind behind Bouffants & Broken Hearts, are kindred spirits. Her work just speaks to me. I was so excited to discover that some of her prints are available in scarf form from Printed Village. Trust me. They’re all dope. But the Citrus and Stripes scarf is ah-mazing, perfect for adding some pizzazz to an outfit or spicing up a handbag. So many possibilities! And don’t even get me started on headwrap options. (printedvillage.com)
3. Who you know fresher than Joe? Riddle me that. This Stripe Flare Dress from Joe Fresh has a modern classic feel, thanks to the super flattering silhouette. Hey, sometimes less is more. (joefresh.com)
4. By now, you may have noticed a common theme in this week’s post: patterns/prints. While the other items have bold patterns, this Wilfred Lavande Dress in Heather Black has a more subtle print. More specifically, it’s a softly structured Italian ponte fabric with stretch. Get ready to turns heads with this spicy ensemble. Looking at you, deep V-neckline and exposed front zipper. (aritzia.com)
5. This Fine-Knit Printed Jumper from Cos speaks for itself. You don’t need to add much more to make it pop, which makes it the ideal casual Friday or lazy Sunday sweater. (cosstores.com)
1. This MINKPINK Yay Sweatshirt expresses my sentiments for the new year! “Yay” for a fresh start and another chance to get it right. Plus, I’m all for wearing my emotions on my sleeve, or chest, in this case. (bloomingdales.com)
2. It’s all love when it comes to Kate Spade and her Be Mine Studs. Charmingly simple, wear these golden gems to spread that loving feeling all year long. (katespade.com)
3. These leather d’orsay-style Camela Flats, courtesy of Need Supply Co., are perfection in shoe form. That is all. (needsupply.com)
4. Wear these dazzling Trouvé Sequin Track Pants day or night because, why not? Go for the tomboy look or go for the glam girl flair — either way you’re winning in these slouchy joggers. (nordstrom.com)
5. No detail was spared on this Charcoal Dots Tote Bag. Looks like it was handcrafted just for me (you know I can’t resist a nice dot pattern). But in reality it was handmade in Portland, Oregon, using handprinted canvas, rich sturdy leather straps with fine brass rivets and finished with chocolate-brown geometric-print cotton lining. Well done, Anna Joyce! (annajoycedesign.com)
This slightly hideous but delightfully charming Christmas sweater has been a highlight of my holiday wardrobe for years. This Christmas was no different! See more of this festive look after the jump.
This Outfit of the Day is a prime example of when a thrifted get-up looks like you paid full price.
See more of this thriftastic look after the jump!
“Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, which, having no captain, overseer or ruler, provides her supplies in the summer, and gathers her food in the harvest.” Proverbs 6:6-8
This past week I started a new job! You’re looking at the first-ever official marketing and communications assistant for 826LA! Such an exhilarating time for me. The position is a one-year contract through AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America), which is like the domestic Peace Corps. For the first time in a while I feel like I’m doing meaningful work, since I’m putting my skills and talents to use at a nonprofit writing and tutoring center that serves students ages 6 to 18. I wore this particular outfit to work on a day that the staff met to set goals for the upcoming year and review its challenges. I must say, it feels great to be a part of a team of like-minded individuals seeking to improve and maximize their effectiveness so that they can better fulfill the organization’s mission. Happy to be on board!
Tank: Old Navy
Shoes: Thrifted (and gifted)
Necklace: Forever 21
Earrings: Forever 21