From guerrilla engravings along the pavement, to quaint bike racks and vibrant window displays, hearts have been on my radar as of late. Oh how I heart Long Beach.
I love finding beauty in the most ordinary, mundane things. Take for instance these City of Long Beach utility boxes — nothing special by any stretch of the imagination. Or are they? These are just a few of many throughout my city that have given me pause. They’re bright, vibrant and intriguing. And they just put a smile on my face. I wonder if others have taken notice of these functional works of art.
1. The tomboy in me is really loving the five-panel camper-style hat look that’s running rampant this season. Thanks to Publish, there are plenty to go around. I’m particularly fond of the Reza (Garden) variety. (thepublishshop.com)
2. These Chinese Laundry Serendipity Clear, Black, White Pointed Pumps are many things: daring, glamorous, sophisticated, edgy, et al. (lulus.com)
3. I nearly fell out when I heard that Rita’s Water Ice opened up a location in Redondo Beach, so a couple of friends and I took a fun little journey to get some of that delectable frozen goodness last weekend. And it was as yummy as I remembered it, from my first taste during a trip to Philadelphia in 2006. If you live in L.A., run, don’t walk over to Rita’s! Word to the wise: Get the gelati. It will change your life. (ritasice.com)
4. Isn’t this Paris Love Bracelet in gold absolutely darling? It would be a perfect token of affection for a good friend, or even a birthday gift. (boticca.com)
5. Yay for romper weather! I would rock the heck out of this Leonia Figure Print Bustier Playsuit. No lie. (missguidedus.com)
This past Friday I had a wonderful excursion thrifting and window shopping in Downtown Fullerton. ModTex had these fancy suitcases on display, while Oh, Hello Friend made use of player piano rolls in a unique way. All in all a great day to be inspired.
P.S. Thanks to the boo wop for snapping a couple pics for me.
1. QuellyRue Designs has won me over yet again with its Asantewaa: Warrior Queen Earrings, as the site says, an “ode to the mere woman who fought against the cannon gun.” I’m really loving the spikes juxtaposed with the kente fabric. Absolutely fierce! (quellyruedesigns.com)
2. This Menu Dropp!! Fruit Bowl in Deep Red would ensure that I have fresh fruit on hand at all times. (popgiftboutique.com)
3. Sometimes you have to let them in on the secret. This mermaid tank is all kinds of fun. (heartofhers.com)
4. I recently got hip to Vision Street Wear and I fully support these Canvas Hi-Leopard kicks. Rawwrr! (visionstreetwear.com)
5. If Bill Cosby was a pair of socks, he’d be these bad boys. So colorful. So ’80s. I love! (dillysocks.ch)
1. I’m all for a nice jumpsuit. But this Antonella Cut Out Golden Lion Jumpsuit from Missguided takes the idea to all-new heights by combining things I love: cutouts, gold embellishments, a daring neckline. Flawless. (missguidedus.com)
2. This past weekend I went out and rode a bike for the first time in years, among great company no less, as part of CicLAvia, an event that encourages people to get outdoors and “makes the streets safe for people to walk, skate, play and ride a bike.” It was great fun seeing Downtown Los Angeles via bicycle. The next event isn’t until October, but you may as well put it on your calendar now. (ciclavia.org)
3. With the weather being warm, I’m in frozen sweet treat mode. Thankfully, Food 52 has this simple recipe for delectable Frozen Bananas Dipped in Mexican Chocolate Ganache and Spicy Honeyed Peanuts. Yum! (food52.com)
4. Who else enjoys a tattoo of the temporary variety? Well, let me introduce you to Tattly. These aren’t your candy machine temporary tattoos of yesteryear. Oh no. These are quality “designy” pieces that you’re going to want to adorn all over your hot little body. Take for example this Live Today tat. (tattly.com)
5. Hot times call for hot pants. I’m particularly fond of these nautical-style High-waist American Chain Shorts. They’d be perfect for the Fourth of July. Here’s to wishful thinking that they’ll be restocked soon. (shopiammi.com)
1. It’s the first day of Summer! Yaaaaay. To commemorate the coming of THE best season ever created by God, I’d like to draw your attention to this cute little bikini from Forever 21. I’m loving the color scheme. (forever21.com)
2. So apparently there’s this hip new craze of stacking necklaces of varying lengths and styles to create one awesomely glamorous piece. Through 80s Purple, I discovered this piece crafted by @Kalemo, combining necklaces from Dannijo, Top Shop and Urban Outfitters with a vintage find. Exquisite! (kalemo.co)
3. Andy Mineo’s Heroes for Sale album has been on repeat in my car since it dropped in April. Seriously, guys, run, don’t walk! His label, Reach Records, recently released this ‘Hero’ Custom Pocket T-Shirt (look at that little Zero zipping away) that I would definitely fashion into a tank and rock on a lovely Saturday. (merchline.com)
4. Love + Made never disappoints. Their collaboration with Miss Wax on these spicy three-piece earrings is nothing short of amazing. I’ll take them in gold, silver, gun metal and rose gold! Thanks in advance. LOL. (love-made.com)
5. These socks make me happy. And it doesn’t come as a surprise that they’re from … wait for it … Happy Socks. I have a serious weakness for all things polka dot. Don’t these Big Dot Socks just make you want to frolic? (happysocks.com)
1. I can’t say that I own anything maroon, and that’s partially why I’m enamored with these Cooperative Penelope D’Orsay Skimmer shoes made from faux patent leather and suede. (urbanoutfitters.com)
2. Tyler Knott Gregson is a brilliant poet who just happens to be having a sale on his Typewriter Series prints: one for $20 or two for $30 in 8×10 and 8×12 sizes. Submit orders via PayPal to TheTypeWriterPoet@gmail.com. The above poem is an example of his work, which never ceases to put a smile on my face when I see his posts on my Instagram feed. (tylerknott.com)
3. “Spectacular” is the word that came to mind when I first laid eyes on this Mint Jewel Collar Necklace. Statement necklace at its finest! (tandjdesigns.com)
4. My opinion on the cutout dress trend is “yes, please!” This Skater Dress in Neon Spot and Cut Out Tie Back is perfection. Get ready to turn heads when you have this dress on. (asos.com)
5. Madewell has the cutest clothes in general, but this Arrowcut Skinny Belt in Lizardstamp is absolutely darling. I’m already thinking about all the fun ways I can style this with some existing pieces in my wardrobe! (madewell.com)
More often than not while at a thrift shop I find myself looking at furniture and fixtures, as if I have a mansion that needs furnishing. I don’t, so I’m just forced to daydream about all the lovely vintage and antique finds, a.k.a. window shop. Here are a few of the pieces I wished I could take home.
I love a tufted piece. And that pale pink is such a wonderful color.
If I didn’t have a built-in armoire at my apartment, this guy would be perfect for my dining room.
Nice wicker back on this chair! And the shape? Beautiful.
1. Urban Outfitters has the cutest summer sandals. Whether you like a chunky wedge, a woven flat or a strappy gladiator, they’ve got you covered. I’m particularly fond of the Kimchi Blue Pinup Mini-Wedge Sandal in yellow — casual enough for the beach, but dressy enough to complement any summertime party attire. (urbanoutfitters.com)
2. “Haters gonna hate!” is one of my many favorite catchphrases of the moment. So imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon this Narwhal Haters Gonna Hate hand embroidery art, from the StitchCulture Etsy shop. Did you notice the one with the unicorn horn? I let out a hearty guffaw when I spotted it! I’m also in love with this Salt-n-Pepa “Push It” lyric embroidery. (etsy.com)
3. I’m on the market for a snazzy party dress for my upcoming birthday, and this saucy little Scenes of the City Dress, from Mod Cloth, is among those in the running. (modcloth.com)
4. It’s a rare occasion that I buy jewelry for myself, which is probably why my options for necklaces are so limited. I need to change that, starting with Fred Flare’s Coral Fiji Necklace. (fredflare.com)
5. Sunglasses are a necessity all year long, especially for SoCal dwellers. Thankfully, Coco and Breezy’s Omorose Collection has a great variety of unique shades to adorn your pretty little face. Take for instance these dope Thema Tortoise Shell over-sized frames. (cocoandbreezy.com)