Today is World MS Day, and I’ve decided to do something different — something very Ashley Adores — to commemorate the occasion.
“A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity.” Proverbs 17:17
Jumpsuit: Missguided Orange Bow Front Bandeau Jumpsuit
I’ve enlisted the help of a few friends who are showing their solidarity and support for World MS Day, while also helping to raise awareness about multiple sclerosis. As some of you may know, I am one of the nearly 1 million people in the United States living with MS (2.3 million worldwide).
Orange is the official color of MS. This theme of this year’s World MS Day is “Connections,” so I wanted to show some of my connections (a.k.a. friends) wearing orange in support of someone with MS (me). At times, living with a chronic illness can be an isolating feeling — not to mention the stressors that come with being immunocompromised during a pandemic — but I’m blessed to have a tribe full of real ones who have my back.
Support from people who truly love and care for you can feel better than medicine when you’re chronically ill. The women pictured in the gallery below have served as inspiration and lifted me up when I needed it most.
Here’s a little about each of the women rocking their best orange ensembles in style in this roundup:
• My sister Ayesha is a superwoman who is an awesome mother to my nephews, Jordan and Marquis. She is also an honor roller as she pursues her degree, and is a craftmaker extraordinaire. She has always been ahead of her time. As a kid with sarcastic humor, I was convinced that there was a 45-year-old trapped inside her young body. Ayesha’s favorite color is (you guessed it) orange, and she wears it gracefully with a yellow (my favorite color) accent necklace.
• Yvette is my bestie, who I’ve known since the fifth grade. She is a lover of birds and also is my favorite songbird. Not only is she blessed with the vocals, but she has the distinct ability to make me laugh like a lunatic with her antics. Some of my best adventures traveling the word have been with Yvette, and I can’t wait to explore new places with her once this pandemic subsides.
• Unbridled creativity is what comes to mind when I think of Lola. She always turns heads with her bold outfits and daring accessories, and she has a heart of gold. Far from the ordinary, Lola exudes rare beauty inside and out. You can shop her creations at Wusu & 4th. (Photo by RSee)
• Jená, another entrepreneur-fashionista, is a mother, stylist and owner of the Jená Monique boutique (shop this Sheer Perfection Maxi Dress and other orange ensembles!). We met at church as we ministered through dance together. She loves the Lord and has a heart for serving her community. In all aspects of her life, Jená is the epitome of style and grace.
• My homegirl, Linda, has become family throughout the years. I can count on her for anything. Literally! One of the best things about Linda is her transparency. She doesn’t shy away from sharing what’s on her heart and her faith is so strong. I know that I can keep it 100 with her at all times, and that she would go to war for me.
• Stefany is a colleague who has been a great friend to me. She is a true inspiration, a supportive mother of two, and is as real as they come. Her effortless style is enviable. I mean, she has lewks for days! Stefany’s most valuable asset is how genuine she can be — she means what she says and says what she means. Love her!
• This curly cutie is Octavia, a quirky, funny, radiant spirit who is a joy to be around. I leave every encounter with her uplifted. I can always count on Tae for a timely word, and she has the voice of an angel. You better sang, Tae! As someone who also is enduring her own health challenges, seeing her thrive is encouraging, to say the least.
• Whitney has become a full-on woman right before my eyes. I remember fondly the days when she had just moved to California and we connected at church. These days she’s back in Arizona with a successful career in commercial property management, the cutest babies, a dope hubby, and a bomb house. Whit’s still got the baby face, but she’s got the wisdom and hilarity to match. Catching up with her on our weekly Zooms has definitely been one of the highlights of this quarantine!
• Simply put, Olamide is goals. She is one of the smartest and driven people I know. Where there is a will, Olamide will find a way, from teaching herself to code and launching a grassroots match-making service during the pandemic, to becoming a homeowner before 30 and affecting real change with leadership at our company! I stan. Not to mention, her singing voice touches people deep in their souls. I’m glad our work friendship has become a real friendship.
To see more Outfit of the Day/Night posts, click here.