I never underestimate the power of a good statement tee to bring an outfit home. And when in doubt, I always bet on black — you really can’t go wrong in black. This Outfit of the Day is pretty much all black everything, save for the pop of burgundy on my lips and on my feet, as well as the gold accents.
“… being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience …” Colossians 1:11
T-Shirt: Love Black Culture
Sneakers: Air Jordan 1 Mid SE
Canine Confetti: Courtesy of Ryley the Mini Dachshund
Thinking about the message of my T-shirt (*say it louder for the people in the back!), I always bet on Black — my people, our culture, our art, our expression. We are so dope! I wish that others would love us as much as they love our culture. I’ve heard it put this way: “They want our rhythm but not our blues.” I think you know the “they” to whom I’m referring. We’ve seen it far too often. They love everything about us (our dances, out music, our vernacular, our natural features, etc.) and try so hard to emulate us, but when it comes down to it, don’t even fix their mouths to give us credit for our brilliance that they co-opt, acknowledge our contributions or stand up against the countless injustices we face on the daily. Le sigh. Hopefully someone gets the memo when they see this shirt. Even if they don’t, I’m still gonna serve this Black girl magic on the reg!
To see more Outfit of the Day/Night posts, click here.
This Wednesday Word No. 101, a tweet from California Senator Kamala Harris posted on Feb. 2, has been at the forefront of my mind since it was sent into the universe. It was a poignant reminder that there is an army of well-wishing, encouraging, uplifting, caring sisters behind me. They may not be in the building physically, but I know their thoughts, prayers and hopes are with me.
What a reassuring feeling, especially as I got about my work day, oftentimes the only Black woman in the room. The more I engage and build relationships with my Black colleagues, the more supported I feel. I thank them for their hugs, smiles, laughs and “You’re gonna be OKs.” They mean more to me than they’ll ever know. It’s a beautiful thing to feel that encouragement 365, but it feels especially good during Black History Month. Now that’s a special kind of love.
And by the way, Kamala Harris is Black History herself, and her future is so bright. I stand with her as one of those cheerleaders she mentioned in her tweet. Get ’em, Kam!
To get inspired by previous Wednesday Word posts, click here.
Get into an all-new batch of must-have goods and wares in this week’s edition of Fancy Things Friday:
1. Why hello, Sarah Jessica! Very Last Detail lives up to its name with this darling Sarah Jessica Clutch in Black. The devil’s in the details, and I am over the moon for the gold accents and tribal icon. An added bonus is the versatility this piece affords. Wear it across the body, over one shoulder or as a clutch with the chain tucked in, and you’re ready to step out “Sex and the City” style. (verylastdetail.com)
2. You gotta risk it for the biscuit, folks! Lazy Oaf and Poppy Lissiman know exactly what I’m talking about with their Biscuit collab sunglasses, which are a daringly calculated risk with the dual black-and-white marble acetate and wild print. Plus, the black gradient lenses allow you to partake in an all-day baewatch with the object of your affection being none the wiser. It’s giving me “Saved by the Bell” circa ’91 swag and I’m here for every ounce of it. (poppylissiman.com)
3. Stick a bow on it, ’cause this Bib Dress is a real gift. The blue and ivory stripes have a certified nautical vibe, and the baggy fit makes me want to get real cozy. I’d go casual with the styling here and pair this frock with a low-top red Chuck Taylor or classic Vans. (cladandcloth.com)
4. All hail the queen! I’m talking about one of the greatest to ever do it, Sade Adu, who gracefully adorns this ill Queenin’ Tee from Zoe Love Designs. I mean, she has captured the hearts of generations, from my pops and uncles to J. Cole, whose only regret was being too young to date her. My love is king for you, Queen Sade! (zoelovedesigns.com)
5. And speaking of queen ish, feast your eyes on this regal Feathers Kimono Dress. The bold gold metallic feathers scream royalty, elegance and confidence. Compliments to Symbology for knowing a woman’s body and designing features that accentuate it in all its glory. The plunging neckline, the slit and the cinched waist? Here for all of the above. (ashandrose.com)
To see past Fancy Things Friday posts, click here.
1. Tuck all your essentials into this simple, sleek Kelsi Dagger Leather Envelope Clutch. If Kelsi were a human, she’d be all business at work and then the type to sip whiskey while dancing and laughing with friends until last call. (lastcall.com)
2. These boots were made for stunting, and that’s just what they’ll do. It doesn’t get any better than these Circus by Sam Edelman Black and White Leather Ankle Boots. The perfect cut, these edgy kicks combine tones and textures (I’m swooning over the black-and-white dots pattern) to make one heck of an anchor for an outfit. Get these while they’re hot, because with all this goodness wrapped into one pair of shoes, they won’t last. (lulus.com)
3. Don’t sleep on the elbow patches! Am I the only one who enjoys dressing like a middle-aged college professor from time to time? Show that you’re intelligent, quirky and fly with this tan Elbow-Patch Cotton Blazer. I’d definitely pair this jacket with some riding boots and a plaid or printed scarf. Or a slim turtleneck if I’m feeling extra proper. (mango.com)
4. That melanin tho! If you got it, flaunt it, right? Shout out to Legendary Rootz for giving us brown-skinned girls something that speaks to why we’re so awesome. Not only is this Melanin Defined Tee an informational tool, it’s a stylish conversation starter. (legendaryrootz.com)
5. The weather outside is frightful. OK, it’s not as bad as the East Coast, but it’s been a little nippy in Cali. And I just want to wrap myself up in this BP. Geometric Blanket Scarf. You know I’m all for warmth and functionality. (nordstrom.com)
To see past Fancy Things Friday posts, click here.