As James Wright Chanel reminded us in his review of the Patti LaBelle Sweet Potato Pie, we gotta support Black businesses. Thanks to the good people over at Blavity, there’s a great selection of a few Black-owned companies to shop. These are just five of my favorites from that list. Get your Black Friday on, folks (pun intended!).
1. Yo! “House Party” has to be one of my top five favorite movies of all time. The epic dance battle scene. Kid’s iconic high-top fade. A young Martin Lawrence spinning records. “Switch!” Countless quotables like “‘Peanut! Fix us a couple glasses of Kool-Aid.’ … ‘Grape or red?'” That’s why I was so juiced to discover The Party Clutch by Kashmir VIII. It’s bright and fun, and will definitely be a conversation-starter. Wearable art! I live! (kashmirviii.com)
2. We are who we are today because of the sacrifices of those who came before us. We stand on their shoulders. Now it’s time for us to carry them on our shoulders. Look no further than this Because of Them We Can Signature Backpack, which bears the names of greats like Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, Marcus Garvey and others. I’m a huge fan of the black-and-white patterns on the sides. I’m patiently waiting for this sold-out piece to get restocked, but way to fuse empowerment with functionality and style! (becauseofthemwecan.com)
3. You can’t tell from this angle, but this Stay Woke Crewneck in Heather Grey is “emblazoned with the Adinkra symbol, Epa, which symbolizes law, justice, slavery and captivity,” Glossrags says. The sentiment behind the symbol is captured on the back, which encourages people to “Stay Woke,” as in keep informed of all the craziness, injustices and strife going on in the world around us. (glossrags.com)
4. This “Wynn” Print from DorcasCreates is simply darling. The pop of red with the glasses is a pleasant surprise, and the subject’s beautiful natural hair is enchanting. Yay, Team Natural! (etsy.com/shop/dorcascreates)
5. Tees in the Trap is speaking truth with its The Brunch Life Chose Me Tee. Nothing brings a sister joy quite like the promise of a bottomless mimosa-laden brunch with friends over the weekend. What can I say? I didn’t choose the brunch life — the brunch life chose me. Find me at The Pink Elephant in San Francisco with this one on. (teesinthetrap.com)
To see past Fancy Things Friday posts, click here.